Macmillan Cross Kilmory Knapdale Scotland
Saturday, May 23, 2009
Today, I am posting a video clip of the elaborately engraved cross in Kilmory church, a few miles from Castle Sween. Key features:
- The cross is over twelve feet in height.
- Carries inscription 'Haec est crux Alexandri Macmillan'.
- Was carved for Alexander Macmillan and depiction on one side of a Highland chief hunting deer may be Macmillan himself.
- Claymore on reverse side may belong to Macmillan.
- Was carved locally and dates from late 15th century.
- On one side is the crucifixion with Virgin Mary on left and St. John on the right.
- On other side is hunting scene with a woodman looking on.
posted by Catswhiskers @ 4:34 AM