Tuesday, October 24, 2006
Some key facts:
- Rising from the shores of Loch Linnhe, Ben Nevis is the tallest mountain in the U.K.
- Height is 4406ft (1344 metres).
- The mountain dominates the Fort William and Lochaber area.
- First scaled in 1771 by botanist, James Robertson. There are now about 100,000 ascents each year.
- The 1700 hectare/4158 acre Ben Nevis Estate was acquired by the John Muir Trust in June 2000. The estate includes three other high peaks: Carn Mor Dearg, Aonach Beag and Sgurr Choinnich Beag.
posted by Catswhiskers @ 10:39 AM